Monday, April 11, 2011

new skill!!

So I've figured out a new skill. My teacher showed it to me a couple lessons ago, but I couldn't get a hang of it until now.

It turns out that the bow hold is very important on the violin. Consider that until your bow moves across the strings, the violin makes no sound (unless you pluck the strings.) Furthermore, how loud or soft the violin sounds depends on your bowing. And technical sounds, like staccato or legato, also depend on the bow. Therefore, bow = important.

To develop finger muscles which can help with all the aforementioned critical tasks of the bow, my teacher suggested that I walk my right hand up and down the bow. Easier said than done. I think I've finally gotten down a good enough bow hold plus strong enough fingers to actually make it work. I practiced walking up and down the bow a few times today. Hopefully, it'll pay off in the long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment